Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gameface - facial hair no longer an option?!

I've been a very big user of gameface in the past but obviously due to technical limits I understand the recreation of facial hair is not too great, for this reason I've always used a photo of me clean shaven and put facial hair over the top in the appearance settings.
Today I reuploaded my face and saved before I added facial hair thinking "ah I'll do it later". However, now there is no facial hair options and when creating a gameface using a picture with facial hair it cuts off half of my beard (the sideburns).
I'm really irritated by this as I'm a gamechanger for EA's FIFA series and I use my gameface for a lot of things other than in game e.g. FIFA backgrounds etc. Now I cannot create myself accurately. Is the facial hair going to be readded or not? If not then gameface has just been ruined for me.

On the left is how my gameface looks with a picture of me with my beard, on the right is how it looked when I used my shaved face picture and added facial hair. The facial hair didn't look as good on the gameface preview but it looked far better in game.|||No reply? Will we even be told why facial hair has been removed?|||Will we get a reply on this? I know Santi, one of the FIFA devs, wants to know the answer as he said so on Twitter.|||Yea i noticed this too, hope they fix it soon as its one of its main features IMO|||Definately, why would we be forced to look like sschool boys. Even if it has beeen taken out permanantley at the very least confim it, I would like a reason and a return date but the bare minimum at least clarify slightly.|||Hi all,
Here is a little bit more background on that topic. Game Face is still in BETA and as such, we are constantly updating the feature with new content and capabilities.
Facial hair was one of the first things we had done in the early stage of Game Face, and as the product improved over time, we felt that implementation was no longer on par with our quality expectations. Additionally, numbers showed that a small fraction of users did take advantage of facial hair on their avatar, and therefore with the latest update adding support for female and golfer avatars, along with new outfit items for soccer avatars, we removed facial hair as is - Until such time we can come up with a much stronger implementation.
The good news however are that FIFA 12 will feature a much improved import version of Game Face onto Virtual Pro, and using beard on photos should prove significantly more faithful - Try it when it's out!
We are always keen on hearing your thoughts to try and inform the update roadmap, so do let us know what you think.
Besides facial hair, anything else you would like to see added to Game Face?
Best,|||Thanks for letting us know what has happened.
Although I dont understand why you would remove such an important element of personalising for that small fraction. It was outdated and limited but it was still half way there. I would have preferred if some form of replacement was in place before removing the old facial hair system, because although the GameFace is truly a great concept and well implemented, for this small fraction the other tech has been dampered now that such a stand out feature has been removed.
I actually think GameFace is one of the best things EA has done, I really dont have many other issues with it, I would only wish to see the ability to save multiple Game Faces and more variations in hairstyle (although my hairstyle is already included), and facial hair (although my facial hair was included). This is what I mean everything else worked perfectly for me at least, it's frustrating to see all the good things GameFace does overshadowed by the removal of this element.
Like I said, I appreciate the reply though and hopefully you guys are working on putting facial hair back in, only better. Thanks.|||Loud and clear - Facial hair +1. Thanks for the feedback.|||


Hi all,
Here is a little bit more background on that topic. Game Face is still in BETA and as such, we are constantly updating the feature with new content and capabilities.
Facial hair was one of the first things we had done in the early stage of Game Face, and as the product improved over time, we felt that implementation was no longer on par with our quality expectations. Additionally, numbers showed that a small fraction of users did take advantage of facial hair on their avatar, and therefore with the latest update adding support for female and golfer avatars, along with new outfit items for soccer avatars, we removed facial hair as is - Until such time we can come up with a much stronger implementation.
The good news however are that FIFA 12 will feature a much improved import version of Game Face onto Virtual Pro, and using beard on photos should prove significantly more faithful - Try it when it's out!
We are always keen on hearing your thoughts to try and inform the update roadmap, so do let us know what you think.
Besides facial hair, anything else you would like to see added to Game Face?
Best,
Thank you for the reply, however my concern is how gameface is used to map the face, at the moment when i use both a side picture and a straight on image I still only get my facial hair around my mouth and nothing from the side of my face leaving my facial hair looking nothing like how it really is.
Is this something that will continue to happen? If so then having the facial hair option is crucial! I have only been clean shaven five times in the last ten years.
With no option to add tattoos I already have to use long sleeve shirts to avoid my Virtual Pro looking alien to myself so the thought of my facial hair not being right either just takes away any reason to make myself, which is my main reason to use gameface in the first place.
I'm not expecting facial hair that actually has a frame so it actually sticks out but any kind of facial hair option (like the one that's been removed) would be something.
I find it a bit shocking that facial hair is not deemed to be important when it is as much a part of the face as skin is...|||Oh and for suggestions once facial hair has been re-added, flesh tunnels, many people have these now, myself included and it's another thing we can't recreate in gameface.|||Thanks for the feedback - Great points there, added to our internal discussions.
Best,|||I understand my rants are not great really so I apologise for my outburst... my feedback has not been great and having dealt with EA and their development program as a gamechanger I will be taking some time out to make a new entry in my blog. This should have quite an in depth write up on how I think improvements can be made.
I will either share it here, link it or directly PM yourself.
Again sorry if I have come across as aggressive but I'm very passionate about the gameface segment of FIFA.|||


I understand my rants are not great really so I apologise for my outburst... my feedback has not been great and having dealt with EA and their development program as a gamechanger I will be taking some time out to make a new entry in my blog. This should have quite an in depth write up on how I think improvements can be made.
I will either share it here, link it or directly PM yourself.
Again sorry if I have come across as aggressive but I'm very passionate about the gameface segment of FIFA.

On the contrary, rant away in your own terms. We'll take a write-up/analysis from your point of view too, of course - Those are genuine feedback points that we definitely want to hear first-hand.
Feel free to link your blog post here, we are both grateful and looking forward to it. It is starting to become clear that we'll have to resurrect a (good) facial hair add-on feature sooner than anticipated, but that's exactly the type of feedback we're after.
Best,|||I also see the facial hair feature as a big part of my GameFace. I really wish it was on here or at least that the generator would do a better job of applying the facial hair on the side of the face. I will say that the update seems to work better then the first time I added a GameFace. I only logged back in to change it cause I had an issue with my face being super white the first time. I was happy with the face, but I thought with better quality photos, I would have a slightly more accurate GameFace. It saddens me to see that I can no longer have the facial hair that runs down the side of my face to help define my jaw line that steams off my sideburns and connects to the chin hair. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for better options in FIFA 12. Which is the reason I decided to update the photo's in the first place. I was getting ready for the release.
Thanks for your interest in our wants and needs. We appreciate all your guys' hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment